Tomorrow I’m going to Paris with Martin for a few days. We’re traveling with EasyJet, which I think is really great for the price. The only minus is that you have to pay to check in your luggage. Since we’re only traveling Monday-Wednesday this time, and don’t have intentions of shopping, we decided to only bring hand luggage this time. It can be a struggle to pack that lightly, so I thought I should share my thoughts and packing with you.
I’m packing in a hand luggage approved cabin bag, from Primark. It’s very light and has two compartments on the outside for things you need to be able to reach easily.
When you travel with just hand luggage I recommend to check the weather before you leave. You don’t have that extra space to pack for any occasion. We don’t seem to be lucky with the weather this time. A bit warmer than here, but cloudy and rainy. When I’m about to fly I pretty much always wear the same kind of clothes; Skirt, leggings, top and a sweater. This time I’m also going to wear a raincoat to be on the safe side. I usually travel in a pair of comfortable trainers to walk in, and bring a pair of ballerinas to wear if we go out for dinner. As the space is very limited this time, I’m leaving the ballerinas and pick all black and discrete trainers. The clothing that will be packed is listed below.
- A pair of jeans
- Two basic tank tops
- A more fancy top, to wear with the skirt I’m traveling in, for a night out
- A special cardigan to wear during the football game we’re there to watch
- Extra underwear and socks
Makeup and Toiletries
Traveling with hand luggage you are quite limited when it comes to liquids. You have to make sure your bottles don’t contain more than 100 ml, and you have to keep it in a resealable plastic bag. I will bring the following:
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair brush, hair bands and bobby pins
- Travel case with makeup brushes, blush brush and lash comb
- Cleansing wipes (A simple way to avoid extra liquids)
- Travel sized shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion (If you want to save place you can leave this out and buy what you need at a supermarket and leave it as you go home. If you, like us, have these travel sized products at home, you can save money instead)
- Foundation, kohl eyeliner, eye shadow trio, powder, blush and bronzer (I chose the Make Up Store foundation as it has a built in sponge, which will work fine these few days. I’m not bringing a mascara since I have an eyelash extension at the moment.)
I also like to bring a small purse that I can use while I’m away. Just make sure you have enough space in the bigger luggage, as you’re only allowed to bring one piece of luggage on the EasyJet flights. (Check the rules of your airline. If you get to carry more, just smile and say thank you) In the following list you’ll find out what other essentials I chose to spend space on.
- Passport and wallet (of course)
- iPad, Notebook and a pen (This is great if you need to find information, or write down what subways to use, places you’ve seen or just get inspiration you want to remember.)
- Sunglasses (I know it’s supposed to be rainy, but I have very sensitive to light so this is an absolute must for me)
- Chargers (for iPhone and camera)
- Plasters and medicines (just in case)
With all this packed there’s still a tiny bit space left if I find something to bring home, like one of those teddy bears with the country name on them that I like to collect.
Do you ever travel with just hand luggage? What are your best tips? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.